Thursday 14 March 2019

A totally unexpected distraction



I started my MA in History of Art last autumn, aiming to keep up the blog posts when possible, but I didn't foresee being totally and utterly distracted by a new field of art: Indian cinema! I don't mean Satyajit Ray's refined intellectual works but popular Hindi cinema like Sholay, the great 1973 movie that launched the masala Western. For this I have to thank the inimitable Professor Rachel Dwyer of SOAS.

As for those of you (and I know who you are) rolling your eyes and hovering over the 'delete' button: fear not, this blog will not become flooded with posts about Karan Johar, Ranveer Singh or Kareena Kapoor. Though if KJo's forthcoming epic about Emperor Aurangzeb turns out any good, I may mention it in relation to Mughal art. And I may make an exception for Zoya Akhtar. But that will be it.

My next post also relates to my MA course, because I was going to do an essay on the Kangxi jar but my ceramics tutor said it didn't fit the brief. So rather than let the research go to waste, here it is (see above).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments here